Thursday, May 21, 2009

some people's children...

I like the fact that I come from a small town. I like that my parents still live there and that I can escape the ridiculousness of city life and "go back to my roots", so to speak.

I think that growing up in a small town an create this inate sense of trust in people. Maybe I'm alone in that thought...but I trust people. I take what people have to say at face value, and trust that they are being honest. With that said, I have been called gullible on numerous occasions, at times, looking somewhat like a fool for this unquestioning trust.

What really gets me though, is so called "scam artists". I don't fall for the random phone calls of " airhorn... Congratulations! You have one a free cruise! Just press 1, give us your credit card number, sign your life away and BAM!" Those I am clever enough to clue into. However, today at work, a lady called. She had a good story...

Lady on phone: "Hi, we're from the credit card machine company (my first clue should have been the fact that she did not use the actual name of the credit card machine). I was just wondering if everything is still working properly, if you have enough of the paper rolls, etc., etc."

Me: "Yes, everything is working fine, thanks for asking!" (all too trusting, thinking this lady sure is sweet, and a good business lady to be calling clients to check on things...)

Lady on phone: "Well, I wanted to let you know that the price of the paper rolls will be increasing and that we've set aside 2 boxes at the old price for you to order" (wow, she seems nice...very thoughtful...)

Me: "Okay..."

Lady on phone: "Now I just need to verify your address, are you still on Corydon Ave? (she gave the full Corydon address, I probably would have been a little more skeptical had she had NO information on this office)

Me: "No, we've moved. this is the new address."

Lady on phone: "Perfect, now should I send this attention to you? Are you the office manager?"

Me: "No, I'm not. You'll have to send it to the Dr."

Lady on phone: "Oh, ok, so you can't authorize this transaction?"

Me: "No. I'll get you on the line with the Dr."

Lady on phone: "Great, thank you!"

**** lady on hold ****

So, I stroll to the back, tell the Dr. the phone is for him, someone needing authorization for ordering paper rolls for the credit card machine, all the while, unassuming that this lady is a scam artist. I quickly realized this when the Dr. went on about how it's a con, and he had fallen for it before and so on, and just to go tell her that he's not interested and all that...

So, I head back to the phone, to tell this lady that he's not interested to find that she's hung up. Surprise, surprise...some people's children I tell ya...

At any rate, I'm way too trusting of people...I wouldn't be surprised if before I die, I buy paper rolls at a "great price" and go on a "free cruise"...

2 comments:

Michael Luedemann said...

You have many funny stories that happen to you daily.

Anonymous said...

how is that nice couch of yours?