Thursday, March 13, 2008

the labyrinth and me...


Yesterday at school I had the chance to walk a prayer labyrinth. I'll admit, I was a little skeptical of it all. It looked so "cult-ish" to me. The lady who spoke to us about the labyrinth told us that we were not being forced to participate, that it was our choice. If we decided to go ahead and walk the prayer labyrinth, all we had to do was step in, and continue moving forward, one step at a time.

I decided to give it a go. It was a weird experience at first, and I really wasn't sure how this was going to bring me closer to God. I'll be honest, on the way towards the center, I really was more focusing on what I had to do the rest of the day, what wedding plans were left, and trying not to bump into people. I kept wishing there was an "easy exit", just so it would be over faster. But I kept at it.

When I got to the middle, I stood in one of the 'petals', and prayed...then turned around to walk out. As I was walking out, I knew that Jesus was walking beside me, one step at a time. I knew that a weight that I had unknowingly been carrying was going to be left in this place. When I got back to the entrance/exit, I had to make a very delibertate choice about stepping off the labyrinth. Would I truly let this weight go? Would I leave it? I was almost a little scared to step out.

But I did...obviously, or I'd still be sitting in the chapel at Prov. I have moved forward, and I know that the weight is gone.

I have found comfort and peace knowing that Jesus is walking with me one step at a time.

1 comment:

Shauna Bennett said...

Glad you hear it was a good experience for you. I was a little worried about you but I think God meets us in weird places. I was kind of tempted a couple times to just step over the lines though and cheat to the center...and back out again. Haha. I'm blessed to be on this journey with you my friend.