Sunday, February 27, 2011

SAD's

Seasonal affective disorder is a cyclic, seasonal condition. This means that signs and symptoms come back and go away at the same time every year. Usually, seasonal affective disorder symptoms appear during late fall or early winter and go away during the sunnier days of spring and summer. Fall and winter seasonal affective disorder (winter depression)
Winter-onset seasonal affective disorder symptoms include:

■Depression ..... check
■Hopelessness ..... check
■Anxiety
■Loss of energy ..... check
■Social withdrawal ..... check
■Oversleeping ..... i wish
■Loss of interest in activities you once enjoyed ..... check
■Appetite changes, especially a craving for foods high in carbohydrates ..... check (but could be due to being all prego and stuff)
■Weight gain ..... check (but is due to being all prego and stuff)
■Difficulty concentrating and processing information ..... possibly ;)
(mayoclinic.com)

I think I have SAD's. Maybe not super extreme. But it usually hits me around February. When winter seems like it will never end. And this winter seems to have been around an awful long time. And so cold! I'll go outside if it's cold out, and there is something worth doing...but it's been so dang cold, I want nothing to do with it. I just coop up inside. I think the harder part this winter is that I have nowhere to set up my crafty things. Which is usually what I hunker down and do in the winter. Sew, scrapbook, make cards...I have no space for that right now. Our basement is in disarray. My sewing machine is tucked away. My sewing supplies are tucked away somewhere else. My scrapbooking things are in plastic bins burried under boxes of books...

I've just been bored. I know I need to make more of an effort to get out and do things...I just don't. Maybe I just don't care to try, or plain ol' just don't care. I feel that way sometimes.

For example, the church is heading out to Camp Arnes after the service today for some outdoor activities. My first reaction. No. I don't want to go. I don't like big events, I don't like being cold, I don't...

I know it'll be great when I get there. I know I'll have fun. I know Charlie will love it. (That boy did not inherit my dislike for cold) I know it will be a good day with our church family. I know that. But I just can't seem to get excited about it.

Cody says I've got the SAD's. Treatment can be light therapy. Perhaps a tanning bed? I know they are bad for you...but they are so warm and bright...

But I can't...I'm prego. No tanning bed when you're prego.

Lord, help me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure I have a bit of the SAD's as well. My sister gets it really really really badly. We take Vitamin D to combat our lack of sunshine. I'm not sure if you can take it when you're pregnant, but it makes a huge difference!

Hang in there, spring is just around the corner!