Tuesday, February 12, 2008

a youth retreat, a blizzard, - 47, being sick, and what I learned...

I spent the past weekend in Norquay SK. It was a youth retreat called "Snow Days". And that it was...we got stuck on the way there because of blizzard like conditions. I don't think I have ever been so scared to drive. I couldn't see 10 feet in front of me. I was laughing at myself though, because I was leaning as far forward in my seat as possible, thinking that suddenly my vision would improve. It didn't. At any rate, we got there early the next morning, just in time for a pancake breakfast. It was excellent! I really do love pancakes. It was about -47 with the wind on Saturday, so I chose to stay inside with the other sane people as opposed to facing the elements and toboganning and skating and other such snow activitites. I knit a toque and chatted with some girls while we sat in the sun that was coming in through the windows. That afternoon, I got sick. I was about to make...ok, I had made, the rash decision to drive home...Thankfully God closed highways. I was very grateful for a family who opened their home to me. I was able to get a lot of rest, and felt much better the next day when we drove home.
I'll be honest...I really wasn't looking forward to the weekend. I don't like being cold (Snow Days...), I didn't want to go away for the weekend. I really just wanted to be able to stay at home and relax. It had been a busy/stress filled week. I was really feeling terrible about my attitude. I kept praying that God would change my heart, and He did. When I got sick out there, I was so disappointed. I really just wanted to spend time with the youth, potentially freeze my face off and enjoy the company of those I hadn't seen in quite some time. God taught me that I need to care for my relationship with Him. When I am nurturing my relationship with God, I can then invest in serving God and others. When I am "spiritually drained", when I am not drawing strength from God, is when that passion and love for serving in ministry fades away...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thats chilly.... i enjoy your thoughts.. but can you knit me a toque?

Dana said...

what color would you like?

Anonymous said...

Know whats funny? My "new" toque, is quite awesome. But on Sunday when i got home, my mom was like "hey, i found that toque that you have been looking for since summer." So now i have two. Marty, how would you like a blue toque?