Saturday, February 23, 2008

on being grandma-ish...

I'm scared I am going to be like my grandma. I know, I know...what's wrong with that? Grandma's are cute...they knit and crochet and make pies, go to bed early, they have candy in their purse all the time, they have that kinda cool/kinda weird, uber stretchy skin around their elbows, which is kinda fun to play with. Or maybe that's just me??? I don't know..either way, what is so bad about being grandma-ish. Well, nothing. I knit, I crochet, generally have some sort of sugar product in my purse...don't quite have the uber stretchy skin on the elbows, but I'm sure it will come. I can't say I bake pies, although, I do bake. So really...nothing wrong with being grandma-ish. I would even say I enjoy it.
My fear however lies in the fact that my one grandma is nothing like that. Don't get me wrong...I love her, and she has many great things about her. However, I have lovingly nicknamed her "crazy grandma". I don't want to be that kind of grandma-ish, and there are days, when I'm not careful that I see characteristics of her in myself. She tends to have a very bitter outlook on life, her mood can change on the drop of dime, she can snap quite easily and she has a mean streak. Not your stereotypical grandma...I kinda see this somewhat crazy side in me somedays, and that scares me.
My other grandma knits and bakes and goes to bed early, always has candy in her purse...and yes...the cool elbow phenomenon. Her life in recent years hasn't been easy with a lot of knee/back/hip problems, but she always smiles, is always polite, always loves and does her best to get by.
So there we go...being grandma-ish. Cody hasn't met "crazy grandma" yet. I'm sure he has nothing to worry about...a quality that I love about her, and that I find absolutely hilarious? She LOVES men...absolutely LOVES men...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

even non-catholic men?

Dana said...

she actually "politely" gave me a talking to about that

Anonymous said...

You should start keeping candy in your purse all the time. I have no grandmas anymore, so you can be my surrogate, 'candy purse' granny.